I have been completely removed from Facebook for a full year. It has been the best year in recent memory. OBSERVATIONS:
1) I'm still "connected" to current events. I'm just not bombarded with a thousand "rage-bait" rants about it.
2) I'm still connected with everyone that matters. We've shared the responsibility of staying in touch. Sometimes it's on me to reach out, sometimes it's on them. The people who haven't kept up with me, were just a relationship of ceremony and convenience.
3) I'm substantially less depressed. Surprising no one, I guess. It didn't cure depression, but it alleviated that which it brought: A lot.
4) I'm still super social online. I have community here and a few other places. We do things together, and don't just try to whip ourselves into a fury.
5) I've gained a meaningful perspective: *MY* perspective. Getting away from the manipulative pieces of those social media sites has given me enough clarity to be, well... "me."