@mikael Thanks! You can hide boosts in the instance settings, but yes, the timeline width is fixed currently.
Since I moved over to a new instance, I figured I'd used today as an excuse to change how I use social media (doubly so because I'm dabbling with the idea of deleting my birdsite account, for predictable reasons to most of you).
I highly suspect I won't miss any of the numbers or other visuals I just disabled. Thanks, @nolan, for implementing this in Pinafore!
This is a major release due to a breaking change for self-hosters. For self-hosters, the new minimum Node.js version has been bumped to v12.20+, v14.14+, or v16.0+.
Other than that, there are only small bug fixes and perf improvements. Enjoy!
@charlag Well for the Favorites timeline I just gave up on caching entirely and just always fetch from the network, because of how the IDs work.
Now there's also the thing that saves your place in a timeline, and persists your unread notifications count to the server, but I haven't updated to that yet.
Masto app developers!
How do you refresh current timeline?
For a long time we used a trick where we took top post id, incremented ID by one and expected that top post to be returned back but it doesn't seem to actually work, you need to increment by some much bigger number.
Would love to hear from you.
@charlag Yeah Pinafore doesn't make a huge effort to try to figure out if locally-cached statuses have been deleted or not. If we get the delete event from streaming, great. If not, then if the user tries to click on the status they will see the 404 at that point.
@dumpsterqueer @charlag Pinafore doesn't have a way to actually refresh the entire timeline (it's a TODO), but for streaming in new statuses, we actually work backwards from the most recent toots, fetching batches using max_id, until we reach the top post ID. https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/blob/b241ea18ac2bb44ab56cf3da0a68c0cd3bd0e767/src/routes/_actions/stream/fillStreamingGap.js
There's also a bunch of logic in the client to avoid showing duplicates, so we don't have to care much about double-fetching.
Just switched from Firefox to Vivaldi as my web browser, and I gotta say: It's pretty nice to have @pinafore as a "web panel" sidebar thing so I can stay up with all the toots while doing my normal browsing.
- Remove Pinafore from FLoC
- a11y fixes
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.24.3
Switching to the system that syncs the unread count with the Mastodon instance ought to fix this. Otherwise the unread count is just based on how many new notifications have come in during your current page session.
@wanderview @ondra Could be a glitch in how notifications are updated. Currently it's done via WebSockets on the main thread. If the page goes to sleep, it stops getting updates. In the future we can switch to Mastodon's new system where the unread count is stored server-side, which can potentially be updated in the background via Service Worker.
And as always, the best way to update Pinafore is to reload your browser tab. Or you can go to Settings -> Reload and it will do the same thing.
- In the Wellness settings, you can now show absolute timestamps on toots (e.g. "March 14") instead of relative timestamps (e.g. "5 minutes ago"), which may reduce feelings of immediacy/urgency. (Like, "I need to respond right away!") Thanks to @kepstin for this!
- On Windows/Mac, if you add Pinafore as a PWA to your taskbar, you can right-click the icon to see shortcuts to write a new toot and view your notifications.
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.24.0
- Word/phrase filters: go to Settings -> Instances -> (instance name) to filter words from timelines
- Press "z" to close/hide all CWs in a thread
- Share photos from other apps directly to Pinafore (only on Android/ChromeOS)
- Show unread notifications in PWA app icon (only on Windows/Mac)
- Various bugfixes and perf improvements
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.23.0
- You can now drag-and-drop multiple files to upload multiple at once
- Fix Safari on iOS 13 and below
- Fix emoji picker in Mastodon "secure mode"
- Accessibility fixes
Alternative web client for Mastodon. Free and open-source, built by @nolan and contributors.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!