Emoji update! Pinafore has a new emoji picker (https://github.com/nolanlawson/emoji-picker-element), which is faster and lower-memory than the previous one. It also supports more emoji, up to the latest (v13) if your OS supports it. https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/pull/1804#issuecomment-651258463
You can also type things like ":grin" to search for both native emoji and custom emoji. Mouse users may also hover the emoji to see the shortcodes.
The main feature of this release is that the focus ring (i.e. the glowing outline around buttons and links) should be less prominent for mouse users. If you prefer to use the keyboard to navigate, then nothing should change. This follows a new web standard called "focus-visible."
If you prefer the old behavior, you can enable "Always show focus ring" in the settings.
Loading threads when clicking on statuses should also be faster.
If you're using Firefox and having trouble updating #Pinafore to the latest version (the latest is v1.15.3, you can check in Settings -> About Pinafore, and normally a refresh will do the trick), then you can fix it with the following steps:
- Go to about:serviceworkers
- Search for Pinafore
- Click "unregister"
- Reload the page
Sorry for the trouble! You can track this issue here: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/issues/1604
- You can now mark media as sensitive even without a content warning.
- For locked accounts, the number of unhandled follow requests will be shown on the "Community" nav link.
- Clicking the avatar on an account page will show a full-resolution view.
- Hashtag links are now correctly case-insensitive.
- You can now set a focal point on an animated GIF.
- When autocompleting, the cursor no longer jumps to the end.
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.13.0
A new minor release of Pinafore!
- Blurhash finally arrives! This can be disabled in the settings if you prefer the old style.
- Automatically extract text from an image. This is a quick way to make your toots more accessible!
- More reliable notifications
- Fewer network requests on first page load
- Accessibility and responsiveness improvements
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.12.0
Two new releases! v1.11.0 and v1.11.1 add the following:
- You can now set a focal point on images! Click the crosshairs to set the preview.
- You can now click outside images in the image modal to close the modal.
- Various bugfixes
- Wellness settings - Does social media ever make you feel anxious or keep you up too late? Try disabling the red "unread notifications" dot, turning the entire app to grayscale, or disabling vanity metrics like follower count, boost count, and favorite count.
- Disable infinite scroll - Some users prefer to explicitly press the "Show more" buttons rather than have new toots load automatically.
🐛 Fixes & perf
Lots! 😀 See the release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.9.0
🆕 New stuff
- Polls! 📊 Create polls, vote in them, and get notifications when they're done.
- Filters! You can now filter boosts/replies from the home timeline, or boosts/favs/mentions/follows/polls from the notifications timeline.
- Improved push notifications
- Accessibility and usability fixes
- "x minutes ago" updates automatically
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.8.0
Cool 🆕 features hot off the presses:
- Report a toot or account
- Mute notifications
- "This account has moved" banner
- Accessibility: keyboard shortcuts correctly set focus now
- Self-hosting: the self-hosted Node server is now a static Express server to better align with production
- Keyboard shortcuts work with pinned toots
- Fixed bug where pinned toots might not appear
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.3.0
🆒 New stuff
On Chrome for Android, you can now tap "…" and then "share toot" to share the toot with any other app (see video). This is coming soon to iOS Safari as well.
The main pinafore.social server should now be faster thanks to being hosted as a static site. See the release notes for details.
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.2.0
Note: this is in Safari Technology Preview only, for now. prefers-color-scheme is an emerging web standard: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-color-scheme
If you're not seeing all the emoji in the new emoji picker, then you may need to upgrade your operating system. There's also an issue tracking whether or not we can detect unsupported system emoji: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/issues/849
Pinafore v0.16.0 now features a full emoji keyboard! It's very similar to Mastodon's, as they both rely on the emoji-mart library. Minor differences include:
- Native system emoji are used rather than Twemoji
- A large preview of the emoji is shown when hovering
- The skin tone selector is on the bottom rather than the top
- Better support for Pleroma media (thanks @sirikon!)
- Preserve newlines in "delete and redraft"
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v0.16.0
In Pinafore v0.15.0, you can now drag-and-drop to upload images and videos! One of our oldest issues (#65), now closed.
There are also some bugfixes and performance improvements. Enjoy!
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v0.15.0
Alternative web client for Mastodon. Free and open-source, built by @nolan and contributors.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!