New blog post: "One year of Pinafore" https://nolanlawson.com/2019/06/02/one-year-of-pinafore/
My reflections on the last year (ish) of working on #Pinafore.
Pinafore v1.9.0 Show more
- Wellness settings - Does social media ever make you feel anxious or keep you up too late? Try disabling the red "unread notifications" dot, turning the entire app to grayscale, or disabling vanity metrics like follower count, boost count, and favorite count.
- Disable infinite scroll - Some users prefer to explicitly press the "Show more" buttons rather than have new toots load automatically.
🐛 Fixes & perf
Lots! 😀 See the release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.9.0
Pinafore v1.8.0 Show more
🆕 New stuff
- Polls! 📊 Create polls, vote in them, and get notifications when they're done.
- Filters! You can now filter boosts/replies from the home timeline, or boosts/favs/mentions/follows/polls from the notifications timeline.
- Improved push notifications
- Accessibility and usability fixes
- "x minutes ago" updates automatically
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.8.0
With the release of Firefox 67, Pinafore now works in Firefox for Android again. Thank you for your patience! https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/67.0/releasenotes/
Pinafore v1.7.0 Show more
🆕 New features
- Filter notifications by "all" vs "mentions"
- "Reload to update" button
- Disable link previews in the settings
🐛 Bug fixes
- Autocomplete is now accessible and searches remotely for accounts
- Improved iOS design (thanks @stevegenoud!)
- Less flaky streaming, better resource usage
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.7.0
Pinafore v1.6.0 Show more
Big release! Also big thanks to @stevegenoud for implementing most of the features! 🎉
- New "direct messages" UI
- New OpenGraph card previews
- New account filters: toots, toots with replies, media
- PWA support on iOS 12.2+
- You can finally press the back button to dismiss dialogs
Good news for Firefox users: Firefox v67 will have a fix so that Pinafore's infinite list will work again! https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1536717#c12
Pinafore v1.5.1 Show more
Quick bugfix release! Thanks to everyone who reported bugs on v1.5.0. 🙇
Pinafore v1.5.0 Show more
New keyboard shortcut: you can now press "." (the period key) to scroll to the top and show new toots.
There are also some accessibility and design fixes in this release. Enjoy!
Firefox users: we've found a bug in Firefox v65 for Android that affects Pinafore. You may want to wait on upgrading to v65, or switch to another browser in the meantime: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/issues/1107
Pinafore v1.4.0 Show more
- There is a new dark theme modeled after Mastodon called, appropriately, "Mastodon." Thanks @jeroenpraat!
🐛 Bug fixes:
- Pinafore now supports Pleroma "snowflake" IDs. Thanks @will!
- Pinafore has a new version of emoji-mart with better accessibility.
⚡ Perf improvements:
- The Docker build size is reduced from 1G to 189M. Thanks https://github.com/stanclai!
- Pinafore is a bit smaller (by ~30kB) and faster to build (by ~15s)
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.4.0
If, like me the scrollbar flash in @pinafore on your iOS device has been bugging you for a long time, do not blame pinafore, blame Safari.
It seems like there is a bug in how it manages styled scrollbars. Just disable custom scrollbars (in Settings) and it will be solved.
Pinafore v1.3.1 Show more
Just a small bugfix release!
- fixes an a11y issue with aria-posinset
- fixes account options dialog not closing correctly
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.3.1
I am happy to report that the bug that was causing NVDA to freeze or crash when moving to some articles with long aria-labels, among others on Pinafore, has been fixed. If you're on NVDA Alphas, you'll have the fix in the latest update. It also will probably make its way ino 2019.1 if I see things correctly. So, you can safely turn off short aria-labels for articles in the Pinafore Settings once you have a build with this fix.
Thanks @nolan for providing a distilled test case!
Pinafore v1.3.0 Show more
Cool 🆕 features hot off the presses:
- Report a toot or account
- Mute notifications
- "This account has moved" banner
- Accessibility: keyboard shortcuts correctly set focus now
- Self-hosting: the self-hosted Node server is now a static Express server to better align with production
- Keyboard shortcuts work with pinned toots
- Fixed bug where pinned toots might not appear
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.3.0
Pinafore v1.2.0 Show more
🆒 New stuff
On Chrome for Android, you can now tap "…" and then "share toot" to share the toot with any other app (see video). This is coming soon to iOS Safari as well.
The main pinafore.social server should now be faster thanks to being hosted as a static site. See the release notes for details.
Release notes: https://github.com/nolanlawson/pinafore/releases/tag/v1.2.0
Alternative web client for Mastodon. Free and open-source, built by @nolan and contributors.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either! We adhere to an adapted version of the TootCat Code of Conduct and follow the Toot Café list of blocked instances. Ash is the admin and is supported by Fuzzface, Brian!, and Daniel Glus as moderators. Hosting costs are largely covered by our generous supporters on Patreon – thanks for all the help!