Show newer

I've been using aliased addresses for this use case for years, but 1Password and Fastmail integration is even better weapon against companies leaking your emails. 🔥

Still using Git Flow while aiming to deliver quality code rapidly? There are better options for you.

As people of Atlassian put it:

"Gitflow is a legacy Git workflow that was originally a disruptive and novel strategy for managing Git branches. Gitflow has fallen in popularity in favor of trunk-based workflows, which are now considered best practices for modern continuous software development and DevOps practices. Gitflow also can be challenging to use with CI/CD."

What do you practice continuously?

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Show thread

Continuous productivity or never being blocked with your work. Instead, practice the methods written above to eliminate 99% of the reasons for being blocked. The other 1% is force majeure, such as earth opening up and swallowing your computer.

Show thread

Continuous improvement or not allowing the feedback loops to grow. Instead, use factual data gathered from fast iterations as the base for learning and A/B experimentation. Then, radically improve your work based on what you learn each day.

Show thread

Continuous delivery or not allowing the product to end up in an unreleasable state. Instead, ensure changes are safe to deploy all the time through a single action. The same applies to rollbacks.

Show thread

Continuous integration or not stashing and polishing changes in branches for days. Instead, share atomic changes in small batches with the team.

Show thread

Continuous verification or not waiting after a task is finished to review and test it. Instead, collaborate in closely working teams, review all changes immediately, and back them up with solid tests.

Show thread

Hot objects 🤝 a candle
being able to emit light

"I must not invite a meeting. Meeting is the time-killer. Meeting is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my calendar. I will permit the invites to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the meeting has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Should you be more interested in mob programming and how it enables high-performance DevOps teams. Check out this free course on PluralSight:

Show thread

Yesterday, we played escape room games with my Futurice team. I wrote about how such a mobbing experiment is also the way we should work with software projects.

Collaboration over inspection!

Once again, in the simplest possible way: If you want to have your "old" life back, get vaccinated. If you don't get vaccinated, this pandemic will simply last longer and cause more harm. It is up to you to be part of the solution, which is vaccination. It really is that simple.

Please Stop Closing Forums And Moving People To Discord

They are not the same thing, and will never be the same thing

English is the JavaScript of spoken languages.

Just think about it:

- it's extremely wide-spread for historical reasons;

- it is a somewhat random mash-up of at least three other languages;

- as much as all languages have their idiosyncrasies , it tends to have the more confusing ones.

Node.js devs, imagine npm doesn’t exist. Instead, if you’re nice, you make a list of your dependencies in your README and everyone installs them manually. (Seriously.) Also, you can list names any way you like. So, if a library is called libclutter-1.0-dev, list it as clutter, libclutter, clutter-1.0, … and people will magically know you meant libclutter-1.0-dev (or, more likely, they’ll do an, e.g., apt search clutter to try and find out wtf you meant). Welcome to C/Vala development in 2021.


How to manage software complexity?

"If a design appears complicated, try a different approach and see if that is simpler."

"The first approach is to eliminate complexity by making code simpler and more obvious. The second approach to complexity is to encapsulate it, so that programmers can work on a system without being exposed to all of its complexity at once. Isolating complexity in a place where it will never be seen is almost as good as eliminating the complexity entirely."

The problem with async (remote) work is how it optimises individual worker's local productivity while sacrificing team productivity and task flow.

Code review ping pong is a well-known notorious example. Not talking to people outside your close network is another.

Working at the office offers an easy solution to both, but we must not force people back there. Carefully planing the hybrid ways of working and extensively leveraging the remote collaboration tools plays a key role.

Show thread
Show older
Mastodon for Tech Folks

This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!