Missile and ball sprites are working, and it's in color mode rather than black and white.

But the horizontal positions of the sprites are still wrong. And I have no idea why...

Show thread

Progress: some of the sprite positions are wrong, but the player sprites are mostly rendering.

Next up is the missile and ball sprites.

And then we'll see how close to the opening screen of Pitfall we are.

Show thread

RIP John Conway.

Back in university, I wrote my first Game of Life simulator in Common Lisp, and loved to mess around with various patterns, but the glider gun was always my favorite.

Got the playfield working, and now the opening screen of Pitfall is taking shape!

Still some timing issues, going on, and the emulator is super slow for some reason, but progress is progress.

Show thread

Just enough of the TIA working to get a test rom rendering NTSC colors correctly!

Show thread

Took the 6502 implementation from my NES emulator, added some basic frame timing, and I got the start of an Atari 2600 emulator up and running in about an hour.

Success! (kind of)

A lot of the game is working properly, but there are IRQ timing issues, which makes sense because I just kinda hacked the IRQ counting in.

Show thread

Mapper 69 progress: Only the bottom half of the B in Batman is being displayed, and it's in the wrong position, and it's using the wrong palette, but it's better than the great big nothing that I had before.

Apparently there are some behavioural differences between certain FME-7 cartridges, depending on whether or not they used battery-backed RAM.

Show thread

Bam! Cartridge mapper 7 (AxROM) done, and now I get awesome Battletoads action

Added mapper 66 to my emulator, so now I get this awesome multi-cart working.

Sort of.

Need to figure out the light gun integration so I can play Duck Hunt.

First time I’ve spotted Rust in a magazine. And I certainly didn’t expect to find out way out in the suburbs

After fixing a couple of super weird hblank timing issues for MMC3 carts, Kirby seems to work without any fuzziness in the HUD

I don't think I ever finished the original Super Mario Bros as a kid... but I've finished it now!

Day 15 part 1 visualization. I used Tremaux's algorithm to wander through the maze, which I miraculously still remember from a university assignment I did ~15 years ago for a C++ assignment...

Day 13: Breakout! I had my "AI", like many other people, just follow the ball around. I might make an interactive version later on. Warning: it takes over 2 minutes to finally finish.

This may be old news, but today I discovered that playing the Star Wars soundtrack on Spotify results in an interesting track progress bar...

Day 11: Robot at Work. This was a pretty easy day, and there's already tons of animations on reddit, so here's another. My part 1 animation didn't produce anything as cool as the other projects though.

A lot of the chapters in AoSA discuss dealing with disk IO a lot.

Optimising a web server (or any multi-threaded system) for the disks you have is crucial, and not a thing you can hand-wave and ignore, as often happens now in the containerised world as these things get abstracted away even further from the developer.

It will eventually result in performance cancer.

Show thread

Finally getting around to day 7 of and the itertools crate really pulled through :)

Show older
Mastodon for Tech Folks

This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!