I've been thinking about making a new keyboard that's somewhere in between my first split ergo keyboard and my grid60. So a split (but not separated) ergonomic keyboard with staggered columns.
Basically like an Atreus, but with a few more thumb-specific buttons and 60 keys total.
In terms of the construction I'm thinking of doing more fancy stuff with the sound - so actually have a plate for this one. Foam between plate and PCB, and silicone below. Maybe a gasket-mounted plate?
Good thing I checked the connector - it doesn't work out quite how I thought in my head! I thought flipping one PCB over and putting the header on the bottom instead of the top would connect pin 1 to pin 2 and vice versa.
But this paper mockup shows that pin 1 is gonna connect to pin 1, because both the PCB and the connector have been flipped so they cancel out.
I'm getting somewhat used to the #FreeCAD way of doing things, switching between workbenches as appropriate (e.g. designing features in PartDesign, making arrays in Draft and doing boolean operations in Part.
I think it could be nice to have some of these features duplicated in other workbenches (e.g. PartDesign could do with having Draft's array tools). I'm sure there's some reason they're not, though.
I think I've settled on how to mount the Schism #keyboard plate. I've added nubs around the perimeter of the plate with a notch on either side, and then you hook O-rings into those notches. That lets me tweak material and thickness of the gasket by getting different O-rings.
Managed to compile Adafruit's bootloader (https://gitlab.com/gbrnt/schism-bootloader/-/tree/schism) and the keyboard actually shows up in dmesg, as a USB drive and the LED pulses!
Next I need to add the board to Zephyr.
Haven't posted any progress on my Schism #keyboard here recently, so here we go:
I've populated both sides of the keyboard now (right side still has no microcontroller yet, just using it as an extension of the left side's matrix).
The OLED worked immediately once I copied some config stuff from another ZMK keyboard. Generally after a minimal bit of figuring stuff out, ZMK has just worked.
The case design is still in progress, but the plate is relatively complete so I printed a couple and installed them. This is where I found that my printer was scaling things up by 0.75%.
It's actually usable now - I used it all day today!
I've printed the Schism #keyboard case design and it pretty much works! It turns out I didn't really think about where to put the battery though. Probably just needs a slight indent added so that there's enough space underneath.
I've lubed all the Gateron yellow switches, and it sounds really nice! Needs some sound damping foam underneath, and I still need to print the other half of the case.
I finally designed the right side of the Schism #keyboard! Because the PCB flips over it's not just a mirroring - most features need to be mirrored, but some need to be added for only left or only right.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!