I tried some casting! These keycaps haven't turned out perfect - the corners didn't have enough resin, not sure why. But once they're fully cured in a week they'll be cool to try out!
The moulds I've made have turned out really well but I have a long way to go with the casting. I think it would help to change to an epoxy with a mix ratio closer to 1:1, so there's not a really tiny amount of hardener to measure out.
The keycaps should be fully cured now! They feel a little tacky when you put them against a hard surface - not sure if that's just what polyester is like.
The bottom corners weren't quite filled but the caps feel nice! Weirdly they had the texture from the original when I demoulded at 2 days, but lost it during the rest of the cure.
The long cure time and the lingering styrene smell are making me want to switch to epoxy/urethane before I do any more casting.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!