I did a quick comparison of the sound of a few different #trackball models - the Microsoft Trackball Explorer, Elecom Huge, Ploopy and a quick test part
The Microsoft and Elecom ones have very low "stiction" at low speeds which is really nice. The Ploopy is great at high speeds but slightly frictiony at low speeds depending on direction. Hoping I can mod the design to fit silicon nitride bearings into it!
I designed some quick bearing mounts for the Ploopy trackball today - instead of roller bearings I wanted to use silicon nitride ball bearings. They don't rotate, they're just a low friction surface.
Rather than re-printing the entire massive top part of the trackball, I chose to just make them small "adapter" inserts that you can put into the bearing holders in the existing part.
Anyway, last night I printed the trackball bearing mounts and fitted them into the trackball. They needed a little bit of filing and drilling to get them to fit right, but they work well!
I used the trackball all day today and it's definitely a small improvement over the roller bearings. Unfortunately the snooker ball is too rough so there's about as much friction as before. It's nicer though because it's the same in all directions!
I ordered an alternative ball for the #ploopy trackball. It was sold for a Logitech cordless optical trackman and is a bit smaller but still works.
Using it with my silicon nitride bearings with an adapter, it was surprisingly not much of an improvement over the pool ball. However, once I put the original roller bearings back in, it makes a huge difference! There's now very little friction to overcome when going from stopped to moving, which makes precise movements a hell of a lot easier.
So to summarise the current best setup I have for the Ploopy #trackball - Use the original bearings and just replace the ball with a glossy one.
It was kind of hard to source the small ones in the UK (seem to be available mostly to companies, but I have no VAT number) but I got some eventually.
Here's a quick video comparing them in a test part to the Ploopy's stock bearings: https://imgur.com/a/Y7NeHqx
I'm quite enjoying the ball transfer units in the trackball. They're the lowest friction bearing option I've tried. That means you can flick from one side of a bunch of screens to the other, but it also means it's easier to be precise.
With high static friction, it's hard to overcome it to do a small movement without overdoing the movement.
Yesterday I did a third iteration of the BTU mod for the Ploopy #trackball
I cut off just the front section and printed it today - my supports were a bit excessive so just that bit took 7 hours!
I've been using it this evening and it feels good. I moved the bearings a bit further up the walls so it's harder to push the ball sideways by accident.
Just spent most of my day off work finishing up the blog post on my various experiments with the Ploopy trackball.
I've decided it's good enough to upload, so here it is:
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!