I did a quick comparison of the sound of a few different #trackball models - the Microsoft Trackball Explorer, Elecom Huge, Ploopy and a quick test part
The Microsoft and Elecom ones have very low "stiction" at low speeds which is really nice. The Ploopy is great at high speeds but slightly frictiony at low speeds depending on direction. Hoping I can mod the design to fit silicon nitride bearings into it!
Anyway, last night I printed the trackball bearing mounts and fitted them into the trackball. They needed a little bit of filing and drilling to get them to fit right, but they work well!
I used the trackball all day today and it's definitely a small improvement over the roller bearings. Unfortunately the snooker ball is too rough so there's about as much friction as before. It's nicer though because it's the same in all directions!
I ordered an alternative ball for the #ploopy trackball. It was sold for a Logitech cordless optical trackman and is a bit smaller but still works.
Using it with my silicon nitride bearings with an adapter, it was surprisingly not much of an improvement over the pool ball. However, once I put the original roller bearings back in, it makes a huge difference! There's now very little friction to overcome when going from stopped to moving, which makes precise movements a hell of a lot easier.
So to summarise the current best setup I have for the Ploopy #trackball - Use the original bearings and just replace the ball with a glossy one.
It was kind of hard to source the small ones in the UK (seem to be available mostly to companies, but I have no VAT number) but I got some eventually.
Here's a quick video comparing them in a test part to the Ploopy's stock bearings: https://imgur.com/a/Y7NeHqx
I'm quite enjoying the ball transfer units in the trackball. They're the lowest friction bearing option I've tried. That means you can flick from one side of a bunch of screens to the other, but it also means it's easier to be precise.
With high static friction, it's hard to overcome it to do a small movement without overdoing the movement.
Yesterday I did a third iteration of the BTU mod for the Ploopy #trackball
I cut off just the front section and printed it today - my supports were a bit excessive so just that bit took 7 hours!
I've been using it this evening and it feels good. I moved the bearings a bit further up the walls so it's harder to push the ball sideways by accident.
Just spent most of my day off work finishing up the blog post on my various experiments with the Ploopy trackball.
I've decided it's good enough to upload, so here it is:
I'm painting a Ploopy trackball top to match my painted webcam! Still needs some clearcoat but it's looking great so far.
It was definitely a good move to buy some proper body filler for the layer lines. Isopon P38 is what we used in the model shop at uni, so I'm familiar with it. It's good stuff.
The process was fill -> sand -> fill -> prime -> fill -> sand -> prime -> sand -> paint
Here's my finished painted Ploopy #trackball - I'm not happy with the buttons but I wanted to start using it! I'll do some black / dark grey ones another time I think.
@gbrnt I repaired an industrial trackball once that used a tiny ball bearing assembly on a shaft as the idler spot. The bearing assembly was broken, tiny balls missing, just two ring dangling on a shaft. Got the bearing at a bearing place, Amazon did not exist yet.
@gbrnt The ball bearing assembly, that part that contains balls is an assembly. They put a shaft through the hole, mounted it, and the outside of the ball bearing assembly rode the ball as the idler wheel.
@gbrnt it looks, on my phone, like you've used masking tape to secure a few pieces of sandwich meat to the mouse
I'm impressed that you could remove the support material in one main piece. What slicer do you use?
Did you manually switch filament colours, or is it the same filament roll?
@normandc It was pretty well stuck but it did come off with some levering with a screwdriver! I'm using Cura, with "enable support interface". I think there's a setting to break the support into chunks, which would have been very useful.
The filament is a rainbow one, but I'm not really a fan. You need a big print like this to see more than one colour, but then it changes too quickly.
@gbrnt better than mine! My first contribution was correcting a link in documentation that someone else pointed out, and another person commented exactly how to fix it. It was a hollow win, but I took it. 😁
@piggo Thanks, that's what I was going for! I tried to sand and polish the buttons but there's only so much time I was willing to spend.
@sss Yeah, unfortunately because they're uncommon and expensive it's not easy to try trackballs.
I quite like Gateron Browns for keyboards - I did try blues but they were too loud for me. Haven't yet tried anything more unusual.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!