🇺🇸 And a new mark: 14% of the apps in my applists are now available from FOSS repos (F-Droid and/or mine)
🇩🇪 Neue Marke erreicht: 14% der Apps in meinen App-Listen sind jetzt per F-Droid Client beziehbar (Repo von #fdroid bzw. IzzyOnDroid)
Rest: Play, Aptoide, Xposed.
Count Count (Graf Zahl): "3456 apps @fdroidorg – 3-4-5-6 🤣 ⛈️ 🤣 🤪)
* Invoice Ninja (nomen est o… ⚡ oops, zapped 🙈)
* Dogecoin Wallet (wuff!)
* kubenav (manage your Kubernetes clusters)
* PxerStudio (Drawing tool) 🎨
* Taiga Mobile (project management)
* OctoPrint (3D-print server)
* SMS Import / Export (coming tomorrow)
After more than a week's break, finally the heavy 🌧️ shower arrived at @fdroidorg with 10 new and 132 (!!) updated apps! Newcomers include:
* TuxGuitar (multitrack tablature editor and player)
* Helio (Music sequencer)
* Podverse (podcast app)
* Stingle Photos (E2E encrypted cloud gallery app)
* Wormhole (send/receive files via magic wormhole)
Updates include Catima, Gadgetbridge, MediLog, deedum, NewPipe, and many more.
Today's app-rain at @fdroidorg: 8 new and 63 updated. New are e.g.
* APK Explorer & Editor (incl. Split APK/App bundle Installer)
* Badreads: book tracking & OpenLibrary look-up
* Hrm: Bluetooth heart-rate monitor
* Nextcloud Cookbook (another one)
* Workout Time!: manage/perform timed workouts
Today's weather: 🌧️ 13 new & 74 updated at @fdroidorg, e.g.
* DroidFS: encrypted file storage using gocrypt (compatible w/ Linux)
* Pie Launcher: a different app drawer, pie menu for your favorites
* RoadEagle: traffic infos for Poland, Lithuania and Latvia
* SelfPrivacy: easily get started self-hosting your website
* windvolt: know when to start charging your devices climate friendly
* Can I Drive: how long to wait after consuming alcohol?
* Luftlinie: navigation for birds (which direction & how far?)
* Permission Manager X: extended permission manager
* Watomatic now also let's you say Goodbye to FB Messenger
What did you say? No F-Droid app? Take your pick: https://android.izzysoft.de/applists/category/named/apps_markets#group_1181
And then: Enjoy your #Android #foss apps from #fdroid and its repos: https://android.izzysoft.de/articles/named/list-of-fdroid-repos
Recent developments, everywhere is dealt with and okay 👍
As you may or may not know, Tusky was temporarily removed from the Google Play store, and it has since been reinstated.
We will always appeal against any removals that we see as incorrect, or fix something that we view as fixable. If for some reason the app can't stay on the Play Store we won't stop the development just because of it, we'll find other ways to reach you.
Thank you for reaching out while that whole mess was going on. 🙏
In case you missed it, Google Play recently removed the @Tusky Mastodon app without proper explanation.
Tusky is one of the best Android Mastodon apps, with nothing controversial in it at all. It's quite disturbing that Google can and does act like this.
An alternative and much better way of getting Tusky onto your Android device is by using the independent FOSS app store @fdroidorg
You can find instructions for installing F-Droid here: https://switching.software/replace/google-play/
F-Droid has taken the next step in providing metrics in a ethical way that includes strong privacy protections. v1.12-alpha3 has an opt-in "popularity contest" reporting mechanism in the Expert Settings. For more info, see https://f-droid.org/2021/03/01/fdroid-metrics-and-clean-insights.html
* Brackey's IDE: a code editor
* Fritter: client for Nitter (and Twitter)
* Loud Bang: a WSPR Client
Updates include e.g.
* OpenFoodFacts: after a looong break finally builds again
* F-Droid Client: hopefully better Latest tab
Our friends from @fdroidorg wrote a blog article about our ETIP platform: https://f-droid.org/fr/2021/02/22/exodus-etip-canonical-database-for-tracking-trackers.html
A big thanks to them, as well as to our amazing community which is helping us by adding more and more trackers every day!
You can get the latest version 0.20.11 from https://f-droid.org/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/.
We went back to the "normal" #FDroid build process, so these APKs are signed by F-Droid again. If you installed an APK signed by us, you either need to uninstall the APK or add the official NewPipe repository to F-Droid: https://newpipe.net/FAQ/tutorials/install-add-fdroid-repo/
Today at @fdroidorg: 62 updated and 8 new apps:
* Newpipe finally updated!!!
* @CCTG has a new version!
* Automation: event-based automation
* Timer +X: pre-define timers and add them when needed (a la "alarm in 4min (tea)" or "in 20min (nap)")
* 🇩🇪 Schule: Lernübungen (Mathe, Uhr, Rechtschreibung)
* mpv remote: control mpv running on your PC
3 days ago it was 60 updates, today it's 50 updates and 11 new apps at @fdroidorg – with highlights like:
* InviZible Pro: Tor Proxy, DNSCrypt & more in 1 app!
* THOR Browser: browser with native support for IPFS
* Migraine Log: a simple log for Migraine (and its medication)
* NiceFeed: RSS Reader w/ feed search & more
* Text Launcher: distraction-free and leightweight (14k!) launcher
* Watomatic: Finally on F-Droid! Get rid of WA and have your remaining contacts auto-replied with your new home
* Price per Unit: shopping helper. Enter price & size and see if the bigger pack is worth it
* SSTV Encoder & Robot36: one app to en- and another to decode SSTV images (like those the ISS sends)
* Snapcast: multi-room audio in sync
If you are looking for a way to help F-Droid get updates out faster, considering diving into the code and contributing! Relevant issues to tackle can be found here:
Love F-Droid and want to lend a hand? Still waiting on the new version of that awesome app?
Doing #metrics by starting with safe data makes a lot of hard problems go away, and avoids violating users' #privacy
During the pandemic, I started to become more interested in online privacy (that was previously limited to using vpn, firefox and adblocker). As I learned and got amazed about all the wonderfull FOSS alternatives out there, I made my internet browing more secure and anonymous, and after some months, I managed to switch from gmail to tutanota, google docs to cryptpad, youtube to freetube, play store to F-droid and Aurora store... I now managed to delete my FB and Google account! It feels so liberating! Big shout out to all those working tirelessly to provide alternatives to damaging, unethical and creepy surveillance capitalist companies!
PS: I am still dependent on FB and Google bcuz of WhatsApp (some people don't want to switch to Signal) and Google Play Services on android...For now...
* Jellyfin: DLNA Media Browser for your Jellyfin Server
* InviZible : a local proxy combining DNSCrypt, Tor and more
* BOINC: finally it's there! Use your device to help scientific research when it's idle
* KeyPass: a no-frills password manager
* GeoQuiz Foss: check your geographical knowledge
Also included: the update @Tusky already announced
F-Droid is an installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!