Dunkin' Donuts 🍩 accounts hacked twice by using already leaked credentials:
– attackers used user credentials leaked at other sites to gain entry to DD Perks rewards accounts
– DD Perks accounts contain names, e-mail addresses, DD Perks account number and QR code
– that's why you use unique, strong passwords and 2FA, if possible
Facebook algorithm promoting violence Show more
Algorithms promoting engagement kill people:
"Over a several-day span, dozens of mosques and Muslim-owned shops and homes were burned down across multiple towns."
"On Facebook in Sri Lanka, posts with incendiary rumors had among the highest engagement rates, and so were among the most highly promoted content on the platform. Similar cases of mob violence have taken place in India, Myanmar, Mexico, and elsewhere..."
(via @doctorow )
People who adopt #opensource often have to content themselves with an experience a little rougher than the mainstream. The question is what you're willing to take in exchange for freedom and self control.
German Regulators Just Outlawed Facebook's Whole Ad Business
Some good news to kick off the weekend with.
My new PC is almost here, eta the 11th of Feb 2019. Decided to go with a 2200G, MSI B450 Tomahawk and 8GB of G.Skill 2666Mhz RAM. My mobo choice is probably overkill for just a 2200G. I know Ryzen 3rd is launching soon but I have a feeling that the 7nm process isn't going to yield good OC capability cause the 12nm has voltage leakage problems which is non-existent on the 14nm.
#Facebook just hired a handful of its toughest privacy critics
(three veteran privacy law activists: former EFF attorney Nate Cardozo, former OTI attorney Robyn Greene and Access Now Senior Legislative Manager Nathan White)
article by Cyrus Farivar
Android –disable carrier/OEM bloatware without root access via adb:
– command is "pm uninstall -k --user 0 <name of package>"
– this command disables packages for the standard user
– packages return after factory reset
French /e/ foundation develops Google-free Android ROM (in development):
– we are testing it on Moto G4 (Android 7.1.2, Patch Level Dec 2018)
– ROM comes with Signal, Magic Earth, K-9 Mail (fork), microG and more
– you can use F-Droid as an app store
– we will likely publish an article about it in the near future
Google cares about you, a lot.
Drive-by download protection coming to Chrome 73.
Just hanging' around, you know.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!
Hosting costs are largely covered by our generous supporters on Patreon – thanks for all the help!