It worked! Looks like I can solder 0603 passives without too much trouble. And now I can breadboard with those damn tiny bits too. This little breakout board was half utility and half test/practice. 😃

Show thread

I finally got the isolation routing to come out clean! 😃

I just had to measure the imperfections in the tool and adjust the isolation job to compensate. Oi, what a pain, but at least it worked.

Btw, this is a test board for a bunch of 0603 passives I just ordered. Should be good soldering practice too.

Ahhh, Hacker News. Come for the clickbait headlines, stay for the hilarious comments.

And after waaaay too much time soldering, I finally got the battery power regulator working.

I really need to work on my soldering skills though. I ran into soooo many problems trying to do the SMT parts on this board. Dunno if it was my iron temp, the tip condition, the solder/flux, but I just had the hardest time getting the solder to wet onto the copper.

Show thread

Finally got my board milled out. Watching the mill make my design out of a blank stock in just a few minutes was so much fun to watch! =D

And I only snapped one drill bit. Not bad for my first run.

My odyssey continues! Here's the PCB layout for the battery power regulator. Everything's packed in there pretty closely... we'll see how that works out on my mill, and the eventual assembly step at the end.

Whoops... need to use connector symbols or I don't get the right footprints for my pins. v2 schematic: 😀

Show thread

My first schematic! It's a simple power regulator for a Li-ion battery.

The exciting saga concludes! The final print is done and the new pepper mill works perfectly. :blobaww:

Green is the best color!

Show thread

Second test print worked much better. The grippy bit of the crank arm hugs the grinder shaft much better now. (Phrasing? Are we still doing phrasing?)

I think it's time to do the full print! I'll just let it run overnight. Thankfully my trusty Lulzbot isn't that loud, and the cats pretty much just leave it alone.

Show thread

Test print done! The bottom designed part fits the metal bits perfectly! :blobaww: I love it when I get something right the first time.

This part is Turbo (my cat) approved! :blobcatfingerguns:

The crank arm part (for lack of a better term) needs a slightly tighter fit to the grinder shaft though, so I'll do another round of design/test print.

Show thread

I'm going to try some smaller test prints first on the current print head though. Only a few hours, shouldn't take that long. =D

Show thread

Holy cow! It's a 14 hour print with the current silcer settings! :cate:

I normally use a very small print head for ultra-detailed parts, but this is a bigger project. I might need put the stock print head back on. It's much bigger and should hopefully print faster.

After that: design the plastic bits.

Since I'm using an FDM 3D printer, I have to design the parts without any vertical overhangs. It's a bit tricky, but working under constraints adds a fun challenge to the design. =)

Here's the initial draft design. I'm sure I'll have to tweak some stuff after testing fit and movements and such.

Show thread

First step: make models of the important parts of the metal bits.

I'm using FreeCAD for this. It's a pretty awesome piece of software given the price tag (free), but it does have it's quirks, frustrating limitations, and necessary workarounds. I always wonder if professional CAD tools are hugely better, or only a little bit better.

Show thread

Holiday staycation project: Fix this broken pepper mill with a my 3D printer!

I don't usually develop things in the open because reasons, but I'll give it a shot this time.

The parts of the pepper mill don't stay together anymore... probably because some plastic bit has snapped. Let's see if I can do better!

Me: I weigh exactly 393.29 jars of peanut butter. =D

No one: That's ridiculous! A jar of peanut butter isn't a standard of measurement.


Show older
Mastodon for Tech Folks

This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!