Fediverse, how do y'all do backups?
(Documents, unpublished projects, precious configs, ...)
tar all files name file “best_hentai_2021.tar.gz” put somewhere public
backups everywhere now
Syncing documents with several computers and a cloud based solution is considered doing backup ?
- cozy.io to Sync my photos and documents. It's automated.
- Framagenda.org using WebDav for my Org files (I need to mount the remote filesystem) + CalDav agenda and contacts.
- git for all projects and dotfiles
* Documents: Syncthing (I also have a syncthing node on my RasPi running all the time)
* Code: Git (push to some server and/or flash drive)
* Music: Flash drive / SD card
* Passwords: KeepassXC database syncronised via syncthing (among the other documents) + PGP encrypted passwords (using `pass` + git pushed to flashdrive)
* Config files: git push to some (public) server (I don't use a fancy solution here)
2 local, 1 remote. All scripted, using rsync. Plus a personal remote server to version control my active projects (not a dev though, just a writer ;), using Git. Regular but manual sync of said projects on multiple machines, as I need too. And a synced password manager. Edit: All backups fully encrypted.
@bugaevc I lost a video of a memory once due to a backup mistake (there was a Videos directory and a videos directory and I rm -rf'd the wrong one).
I still keep backups the same way (copy my home directory every year or so) but have become less attached to computers instead
@bugaevc most of my data is already backed up: mail, git repos...
For work machines I use SyncThing to sync between them since we can't store data out of our infra.
For private machines I use Nextcloud and home NAS for videos and photos which is then backed up to a remote online storage.
I also have a couple of "cold storages" aka spare hard drives in a drawyer.
For important document I'm working on (e.g. my thesis now) I use Dropbox client or I used to use Nextcloud.
For the rest I backup with pika backup (GUI for Borg) with an hard disk on my own and an hard disk of my girlfriend (that usually is in another house).
Also I printed a lot of picture.
@bugaevc I have nextcllud server at my friends apartment. I pay a bit for his internet connection so it's cool with him.
The server has raid1c4 btrfs setup. So I feel pretty safe. Kinda safe. Idk. Could probably more safe
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!