Local gov't is funny sometimes. We needed our front steps replaced and the company doing it started on saturday but couldn't finish because some of the material they had weren't the right size. They came back today and right after they showed up the town inspector came and made them leave because they didn't have a permit for the work they were doing. Now I'm stuck with partially finished steps until the town approves the permit, which are definitely less safe than the broken steps that were there before.
And yes, the irony in posting about this on social media is apparent to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Today I was finally able to put into words something I've noticed about myself recently. I'm a constant consumer - podcasts on my commute, Reddit during downtime, hackernews while builds are running at work, whatever on my phone before bed, etc. I've found myself unable to simply sit without any stimulation. Today I drove home from work with no podcast, no music, with the windows down, clearing my head. I think that's a positive change. Now that I'm conscious of it, I can start to correct it.
since this is coming up again, i feel it's important to stress the following facts about privacy on mastodon:
- DMs are stored in plaintext in the database
- yes, this means admins can access them
- it also means they will be accessible if your instance DB is leaked
- however: this is the same as the situation on any other mainstream social media site
- at the end of the day you should make sure you trust your admins
- ultimately: don't use mastodon for privacy-critical messages
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!