Wrote some programs for a fictional/virtual processor system, the TC-DCPU. I've made programs that can auto-find devices, read data from the clock device, and query the floppy disk's geometry. Going to work on trying to write to the disk tomorrow, see how that goes. If it works well, I'll probably work on a program to format a disk image to a custom filesystem I made.
Either way, found the documentation I needed. Probably going to make a device to act as either an 82901 emulator, or a general storage device for my project computers. Using an SD card as the storage media, a switch to control mode, and a thumbwheel to select between 8 'disks' on the SD card while the 'standard' mode will use the rest of the SD card for use with my project computers.
So last night I found out that HP sometimes sucked at documentation. Had to look through the service manual for the HP-9895A floppy drive unit to get information on the command set used with the HP-82901 and similar units, so I can make an emulator to work as a boot device for my HP-125. The command set's successor, CS/80, got its own manual so I'm a bit frustrated the original command set doesn't.
So I went ahead and wrote up a spec that's a hybrid of two other filesystems. It's simple to implement on an 8-bit system, and allows for large files for later projects. Each I-Block can define a file 36MB in size, but I-Blocks can be chained together in a linked-list to allow files up to 8.5GB in size. It can even address a 2TB volume right out of the gate. All of this with pretty small overhead for each file, and very little overhead for the filesystem itself.
Just when I thought I've for sure decided on a filesystem for my computer projects, I find an old obscure one that's simple, efficient, and flexible, that I can mod to include some of my favorite features of LEAN, since 'stock' the older filesystem includes irrelevant data. So now I'm wondering if I should stay with LEAN, or modify the 'new' one and use it instead.
When you want an old finnish computer that takes 20+ minutes to make a chess move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgWpz5V1qg
New blog post after too many months. https://zephyrz80.blogspot.com/2018/10/eeprom-programmer-pt2.html
The text-only display would make the software easier, since you can just send ASCII character bytes to the card and have it be drawn automatically, rather than having to form the bit-pattern for a character in software. I could also have the ability to have 128 software defined characters, by having a Character Generator RAM in addition to the Character Generator ROM for the typical ASCII set.
Computer engineering hobbyist, aerospace/computer nerd.
This Mastodon instance is for people interested in technology. Discussions aren't limited to technology, because tech folks shouldn't be limited to technology either!
Hosting costs are largely covered by our generous supporters on Patreon – thanks for all the help!